Sep 1, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
East Carolina got its recruiting efforts going in the 2015 class with the commitment of North Carolina native Kentrell Barkley. Barkley’s commitment was first reported by Rick Lewis of Phenom Hoops Report.
The 6-foot-5 Barkley played with Team Loaded Virginia this spring and summer and had a lot of success as a do-it-all wing for them. On the adidas Gauntlet this spring, Barkley averaged 8.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 21.1 minutes per game. Barkley also shot an impressive 59 percent from the field over his 14 games.
Barkley could see early minutes at East Carolina thanks to his high motor and effort on both ends of the floor. With a 6-foot-11 wingspan, Barkley can defend multiple positions as well.
The native of Durham is also known for getting into an altercation with former North Carolina wing and 2014 NBA Draft pick P.J. Hairston this summer. Hairston was charged with assault and battery for allegedly punching Barkley twice during a pick-up basketball game at a local YMCA. The court case regarding the matter is next scheduled for September 12th.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)