Sep 1, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
East Carolina got its recruiting efforts going in the 2015 class with the commitment of North Carolina native Kentrell Barkley. Barkley’s commitment was first reported by Rick Lewis of Phenom Hoops Report.
The 6-foot-5 Barkley played with Team Loaded Virginia this spring and summer and had a lot of success as a do-it-all wing for them. On the adidas Gauntlet this spring, Barkley averaged 8.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 21.1 minutes per game. Barkley also shot an impressive 59 percent from the field over his 14 games.
Barkley could see early minutes at East Carolina thanks to his high motor and effort on both ends of the floor. With a 6-foot-11 wingspan, Barkley can defend multiple positions as well.
The native of Durham is also known for getting into an altercation with former North Carolina wing and 2014 NBA Draft pick P.J. Hairston this summer. Hairston was charged with assault and battery for allegedly punching Barkley twice during a pick-up basketball game at a local YMCA. The court case regarding the matter is next scheduled for September 12th.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)