Apr 29, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
Demetrius Harris didn’t have his dreams of being a professional athlete come true playing basketball at Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
That’s generally what happens to mid-major forwards that stand 6-foot-6 and average a handful of points and rebounds while shooting 44% from the free throw line.
But most mid-major forwards weren’t all-state receivers and safetys in football mad Arkansas in high school. And most weren’t forced to give up their football scholarship because of low ACT scores. And most didn’t give up football just to be able to get into Junior College, where they would be getting a basketball scholarship.
And while he never played football in college, scouts that saw him in high school didn’t forget about his ability, which is why he earned a tryout with the Chiefs earlier this month. He wasn’t drafted over the weekend, but that doesn’t change the fact that Kansas City was enamored enough with his athleticism to sign Harris to a three-year contract On Sunday:
Big CONGRATULATIONS to Demetrius Harris. Just signed a 3yr deal with the Kansas City Chiefs…Go Panthers!!!
— Rob Jeter (@CoachJeterUWM) April 28, 2013
Harris is the second former power forward to get a job as a potential tight end in the NFL this week, as Murphy Holloway from Ole Miss signed a contract over the weekend as well.
Undersized front court players are fast becoming the breeding ground for NFL tight ends, as Harris will look to follow in the footsteps of Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Jimmy Graham.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)