Apr 29, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
Demetrius Harris didn’t have his dreams of being a professional athlete come true playing basketball at Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
That’s generally what happens to mid-major forwards that stand 6-foot-6 and average a handful of points and rebounds while shooting 44% from the free throw line.
But most mid-major forwards weren’t all-state receivers and safetys in football mad Arkansas in high school. And most weren’t forced to give up their football scholarship because of low ACT scores. And most didn’t give up football just to be able to get into Junior College, where they would be getting a basketball scholarship.
And while he never played football in college, scouts that saw him in high school didn’t forget about his ability, which is why he earned a tryout with the Chiefs earlier this month. He wasn’t drafted over the weekend, but that doesn’t change the fact that Kansas City was enamored enough with his athleticism to sign Harris to a three-year contract On Sunday:
Big CONGRATULATIONS to Demetrius Harris. Just signed a 3yr deal with the Kansas City Chiefs…Go Panthers!!!
— Rob Jeter (@CoachJeterUWM) April 28, 2013
Harris is the second former power forward to get a job as a potential tight end in the NFL this week, as Murphy Holloway from Ole Miss signed a contract over the weekend as well.
Undersized front court players are fast becoming the breeding ground for NFL tight ends, as Harris will look to follow in the footsteps of Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Jimmy Graham.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)