Dec 27, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
By now, we have all seen Barry Hinson’s epic press conference following Southern Illinois’ loss to Murray State.
We heard his apology on the Dan Patrick Show.
We even saw two young Saluki fans donning “Mama’s Boy” t-shirts.
Unfortunately for Hinson and his family, he is in the news again, but for a not so humorous reason. On Christmas morning, Hinson’s son-in-law, Niles Thomason, passed away of natural causes. As a result, he will not be with the team in Southern Illinois’ final non-conference game against Miami (OH).
According to the school’s athletic website, associate head coach Tom Hankins will act as head coach for the game, and director of operations Nate Mast will serve as the team’s third assistant coach.
Hinson is expected to be back with the team for their Missouri Valley opener at home against Wichita State on January 2nd.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 0
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)