Dec 27, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
By now, we have all seen Barry Hinson’s epic press conference following Southern Illinois’ loss to Murray State.
We heard his apology on the Dan Patrick Show.
We even saw two young Saluki fans donning “Mama’s Boy” t-shirts.
Unfortunately for Hinson and his family, he is in the news again, but for a not so humorous reason. On Christmas morning, Hinson’s son-in-law, Niles Thomason, passed away of natural causes. As a result, he will not be with the team in Southern Illinois’ final non-conference game against Miami (OH).
According to the school’s athletic website, associate head coach Tom Hankins will act as head coach for the game, and director of operations Nate Mast will serve as the team’s third assistant coach.
Hinson is expected to be back with the team for their Missouri Valley opener at home against Wichita State on January 2nd.
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 1
- Bubble Banter: Who will close out the regular season with a bid-earning win? 0
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)