Dec 27, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
By now, we have all seen Barry Hinson’s epic press conference following Southern Illinois’ loss to Murray State.
We heard his apology on the Dan Patrick Show.
We even saw two young Saluki fans donning “Mama’s Boy” t-shirts.
Unfortunately for Hinson and his family, he is in the news again, but for a not so humorous reason. On Christmas morning, Hinson’s son-in-law, Niles Thomason, passed away of natural causes. As a result, he will not be with the team in Southern Illinois’ final non-conference game against Miami (OH).
According to the school’s athletic website, associate head coach Tom Hankins will act as head coach for the game, and director of operations Nate Mast will serve as the team’s third assistant coach.
Hinson is expected to be back with the team for their Missouri Valley opener at home against Wichita State on January 2nd.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 1
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 1
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 54
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 8
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 13
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (60)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)