Jul 15, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Tennessee’s new head coach Donnie Tyndall was looking for graduate transfer Eric McKnight to combat the losses of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon on the Volunteer’s frontline. However, Tennessee received unfortunate news on Tuesday, as McKnight’s waiver to play this season was denied by the SEC.
McKnight played three seasons at Florida Gulf Coast, a member of 2013’s Sweet 16 team. He decided to transfer to Tennessee back on May 12. The NCAA granted McKnight a waiver, but according to the Times Free-Press, the SEC denied his initial waiver and his appeal. In June, the SEC lifted the ban on graduate transfers, but those student-athletes still had to meet a certain criteria such as remaining in good academic standing at their previous school, earning all APR points, and having no disciplinary infractions.
He was suspended for six games in October due to a violation of team or school policy.
“We have been informed that Eric McKnight has been denied the graduate transfer waiver by the SEC,” Tyndall said in a statement. “We pursued this issue through the proper protocol, and I respect the process. Although we are disappointed that Eric will not be joining our program, we are focused on moving forward.”
Tyndall got to work quickly when he was hired to replace Cuonzo Martin. He landed JuCo recruits Devon Baulkman and Kevin Punters, as well as graduate transfer Ian Chiles and four-star guard Detrick Mostella. The Vols front court, which will be without Rawane Ndiaye this season, will expect production from newcomers Willie Carmichael, Jabari McGhee and Tariq Owens.
The 6-foot-9 McKnight averaged 6.9 points and 5.1 rebounds for the Eagles during the 2013-2014 season.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)