Aug 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Trevor Thompson transfer to Ohio State will help the Buckeyes’ frontline. Just not this season.
The Virginia Tech transfer big man had his appeal for immediate eligibility denied, according to a report from Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com. Thompson applied for the hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family in Indianapolis, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery.
“Not being able to play this year is going to be tough, but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be,” Thompson said in a tweet on Saturday night.
Buzz Williams left for Marquette for Virginia Tech on March 21. A day later, Thompson announced his transfer. The 7-foot center committed to Ohio State on April 13. He will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2015-2016 season.
While the Buckeyes will be without Thompson this season, they will have the services of Temple transfer Anthony Lee, who has immediate eligibility under the graduate transfer rule. The 6-foot-9 Lee averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game last season for the Owls. He joins rising seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald as well as incoming freshman center David Bell on the frontline.
Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Hokies. He recorded two double-doubles and scored a season-high 15 points in a loss to Duke.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)