Aug 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Trevor Thompson transfer to Ohio State will help the Buckeyes’ frontline. Just not this season.
The Virginia Tech transfer big man had his appeal for immediate eligibility denied, according to a report from Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com. Thompson applied for the hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family in Indianapolis, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery.
“Not being able to play this year is going to be tough, but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be,” Thompson said in a tweet on Saturday night.
Buzz Williams left for Marquette for Virginia Tech on March 21. A day later, Thompson announced his transfer. The 7-foot center committed to Ohio State on April 13. He will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2015-2016 season.
While the Buckeyes will be without Thompson this season, they will have the services of Temple transfer Anthony Lee, who has immediate eligibility under the graduate transfer rule. The 6-foot-9 Lee averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game last season for the Owls. He joins rising seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald as well as incoming freshman center David Bell on the frontline.
Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Hokies. He recorded two double-doubles and scored a season-high 15 points in a loss to Duke.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)