Aug 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Trevor Thompson transfer to Ohio State will help the Buckeyes’ frontline. Just not this season.
The Virginia Tech transfer big man had his appeal for immediate eligibility denied, according to a report from Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com. Thompson applied for the hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family in Indianapolis, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery.
“Not being able to play this year is going to be tough, but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be,” Thompson said in a tweet on Saturday night.
Buzz Williams left for Marquette for Virginia Tech on March 21. A day later, Thompson announced his transfer. The 7-foot center committed to Ohio State on April 13. He will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2015-2016 season.
While the Buckeyes will be without Thompson this season, they will have the services of Temple transfer Anthony Lee, who has immediate eligibility under the graduate transfer rule. The 6-foot-9 Lee averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game last season for the Owls. He joins rising seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald as well as incoming freshman center David Bell on the frontline.
Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Hokies. He recorded two double-doubles and scored a season-high 15 points in a loss to Duke.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)