Aug 3, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Trevor Thompson transfer to Ohio State will help the Buckeyes’ frontline. Just not this season.
The Virginia Tech transfer big man had his appeal for immediate eligibility denied, according to a report from Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com. Thompson applied for the hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family in Indianapolis, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery.
“Not being able to play this year is going to be tough, but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be,” Thompson said in a tweet on Saturday night.
Buzz Williams left for Marquette for Virginia Tech on March 21. A day later, Thompson announced his transfer. The 7-foot center committed to Ohio State on April 13. He will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2015-2016 season.
While the Buckeyes will be without Thompson this season, they will have the services of Temple transfer Anthony Lee, who has immediate eligibility under the graduate transfer rule. The 6-foot-9 Lee averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game last season for the Owls. He joins rising seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald as well as incoming freshman center David Bell on the frontline.
Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Hokies. He recorded two double-doubles and scored a season-high 15 points in a loss to Duke.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)