Aug 31, 2014, 3:39 PM EST
When the latest Rivals rankings were released this week, Callaway High (Mississippi) guard Malik Newman dipped a spot to No. 3, though, he held on to his title as top guard in the Class of 2015, as he and Isaiah Briscoe are the only guards ranked in the top 10.
His recruitment will be one to track as the high school season gets underway. Newman’s high school coach David Sanders told Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader earlier this week that the 6-foot-3 combo guard will narrow his list “pretty soon” and will announce in after the season.
“Just knowing Malik, from now until the time the season is over, they’re really just going to be wasting their time,” Sanders told Roberts. “Because he’s not going to think about recruiting. He’ll listen to what they have to say and enjoy his visits, but as far as making his decision — he is not thinking about it. That’s the farthest thing from his mind right now.”
Roberts listed Kansas, Kentucky and UConn as some of the contenders from Newman’s services while Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com mentioned that N.C. State and Mississippi State also figure to be in the mix.
In June, Newman and fellow five-star recruit Diamond Stone were set their hopes on going to school together. Stone had previously cut his list to five finalists with UConn as the only similar school. While Newman’s recruitment has ways to go, Stone, the No. 5 overall recruit, is set to announce his decision on Nov. 12.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)