Aug 31, 2014, 3:39 PM EDT
When the latest Rivals rankings were released this week, Callaway High (Mississippi) guard Malik Newman dipped a spot to No. 3, though, he held on to his title as top guard in the Class of 2015, as he and Isaiah Briscoe are the only guards ranked in the top 10.
His recruitment will be one to track as the high school season gets underway. Newman’s high school coach David Sanders told Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader earlier this week that the 6-foot-3 combo guard will narrow his list “pretty soon” and will announce in after the season.
“Just knowing Malik, from now until the time the season is over, they’re really just going to be wasting their time,” Sanders told Roberts. “Because he’s not going to think about recruiting. He’ll listen to what they have to say and enjoy his visits, but as far as making his decision — he is not thinking about it. That’s the farthest thing from his mind right now.”
Roberts listed Kansas, Kentucky and UConn as some of the contenders from Newman’s services while Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com mentioned that N.C. State and Mississippi State also figure to be in the mix.
In June, Newman and fellow five-star recruit Diamond Stone were set their hopes on going to school together. Stone had previously cut his list to five finalists with UConn as the only similar school. While Newman’s recruitment has ways to go, Stone, the No. 5 overall recruit, is set to announce his decision on Nov. 12.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)