Aug 31, 2014, 3:39 PM EST
When the latest Rivals rankings were released this week, Callaway High (Mississippi) guard Malik Newman dipped a spot to No. 3, though, he held on to his title as top guard in the Class of 2015, as he and Isaiah Briscoe are the only guards ranked in the top 10.
His recruitment will be one to track as the high school season gets underway. Newman’s high school coach David Sanders told Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader earlier this week that the 6-foot-3 combo guard will narrow his list “pretty soon” and will announce in after the season.
“Just knowing Malik, from now until the time the season is over, they’re really just going to be wasting their time,” Sanders told Roberts. “Because he’s not going to think about recruiting. He’ll listen to what they have to say and enjoy his visits, but as far as making his decision — he is not thinking about it. That’s the farthest thing from his mind right now.”
Roberts listed Kansas, Kentucky and UConn as some of the contenders from Newman’s services while Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com mentioned that N.C. State and Mississippi State also figure to be in the mix.
In June, Newman and fellow five-star recruit Diamond Stone were set their hopes on going to school together. Stone had previously cut his list to five finalists with UConn as the only similar school. While Newman’s recruitment has ways to go, Stone, the No. 5 overall recruit, is set to announce his decision on Nov. 12.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)