Aug 31, 2014, 3:39 PM EST
When the latest Rivals rankings were released this week, Callaway High (Mississippi) guard Malik Newman dipped a spot to No. 3, though, he held on to his title as top guard in the Class of 2015, as he and Isaiah Briscoe are the only guards ranked in the top 10.
His recruitment will be one to track as the high school season gets underway. Newman’s high school coach David Sanders told Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader earlier this week that the 6-foot-3 combo guard will narrow his list “pretty soon” and will announce in after the season.
“Just knowing Malik, from now until the time the season is over, they’re really just going to be wasting their time,” Sanders told Roberts. “Because he’s not going to think about recruiting. He’ll listen to what they have to say and enjoy his visits, but as far as making his decision — he is not thinking about it. That’s the farthest thing from his mind right now.”
Roberts listed Kansas, Kentucky and UConn as some of the contenders from Newman’s services while Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com mentioned that N.C. State and Mississippi State also figure to be in the mix.
In June, Newman and fellow five-star recruit Diamond Stone were set their hopes on going to school together. Stone had previously cut his list to five finalists with UConn as the only similar school. While Newman’s recruitment has ways to go, Stone, the No. 5 overall recruit, is set to announce his decision on Nov. 12.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)