Jan 7, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Grinnell College men’s basketball team set another NCAA record on Monday night. And no, it has nothing to do with Jack Taylor.
But instead of putting up the points, senior guard Patrick Maher dished out the assists, 37 of them, in a 164-144 win over College of Faith.
“This is something we’ve been discussing since the beginning of the season,” Maher said after the record-breaking game. “I wasn’t quite sure it was possible, but it was definitely something I wanted to go after.”
On the season, the 6-foot-6 Maher is averaging 17.9 points per game, good for third on the team; far behind the 41.9 points Taylor is averaging a night. The 37 dimes spikes his assists per game to 10.4. He had recorded double-digit assists twice this season, including 17 two games before in a 156-150 win over Simspon.
Clearly this will anger some in the basketball world, as did the enormous scoring numbers Taylor has put up behind its gimmick-style offense. Head coach David Arsenault has been criticized for using these record-breaking performances to promote an upcoming book about his offense dubbed “The System”.
Grinnell hosts Knox College on Wednesday night.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)