Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
With two scholarships available for the 2014-15 season, Arizona State has reportedly made an addition to its roster. As first reported by Chris Karpman of ASUDevils.com the program has landed a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman, who will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Goodman averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in his lone season at UNLV, playing in 27 of UNLV’s 35 games in 2012-13. But his time in Las Vegas was cut short by off-court issues, and although Goodman attended Indian Hills CC in 2013-14 he did not play for the school’s highly regarded basketball program. That decision preserved a season of eligibility for Goodman.
There were reports earlier this month that Arizona State was interested in Goodman, a 6-foot-6 combo forward who’s known for his athleticism and ability as a defender.
Goodman becomes the sixth newcomer expected to join the Arizona State program, with two being junior college transfers. The Sun Devils lost an awful lot from last season’s NCAA tournament team, with Jahii Carson foregoing his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the 2014 NBA Draft and center Jordan Bachynski and guard Jermaine Marshall both out of eligibility.
In addition to that productive trio Herb Sendek lost Egor Koulechov and Brandan Kearney, with both making the decision to transfer. Arizona State did receive some good news Friday, as wing Shaquielle McKissic was granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)